Category Archives: Message
The greatest agony Jesus could ever experience unlocked the greatest opportunity He would have to show His love for you and me.
As Jesus neared death on the cross, He was forsaken by His Father so you and I wouldn’t have to be.
GREAT ARE YOU LORD – All Sons & Daughters (performed by Mic Turner & Jessica Cox)
You give life You are love
You bring light to the darkness
You give hope You restore ev’ry heart that is broken
And great are You Lord
It’s Your breath in our lungs
So we pour out our praise
We pour out our praise
It’s Your breath in our lungs
So we pour out our praise to You only
And all the earth will shout Your praise
Our hearts will cry these bones will sing
Great are You Lord
Posted in Message
Pastor/Leader, are your gatherings on Sunday compelling? Are you teaching and reaching people in and outside of your church?
After all, our church services on the weekends are competing with every other option people have to invest their precious time. They could be golfing, sipping coffee at Starbucks, reading a book, watching TV or even sleeping in.
We can shout and teach the words of Jesus all we want, but if we don’t compel people to come in and listen, our message is fruitless (see Luke 14:23).
I believe there are 3 key components to a successful weekend service that will compel those outside the church to come in and hear the good news:
- A Relevant Topic. Look at Jesus model when He spoke at the sermon on the mount. He taught about real-life everyday issues such as anger, sex, marriage, money forgiveness and fear. Don’t have people tune out, talk about what Jesus talked about.
- A Strategic Theme. It is not enough to just teach on real-life themes. The topic needs to connect with a theme that’s already captured people’s attention. If a series or message already relates with something that someone outside the church is already talking about, its easy for people to invite their friends. Think about what is popular in culture or is already trending and leverage that.
- The Biblical Truth. We can talk about relevant topics that are compelling and real (they are important), but without Truth, people will never experience faith and forgiveness. Life change happens happens when people redirect their focus and trust to the person of Jesus Christ.
So, here is a test for you, think back over the last 6 months of your services and ask these three questions:
- Did we address a relevant topic or answer a question people outside of our church are asking?
- Did we connect it to a theme that is hot in culture?
- Did we offer biblical truth and lead people to Jesus?
When all three components are present, more people will be compelled to come to your services and hear the gospel message. And when you begin to see lives changed, you will know your services will be compelling for all the right reasons.
(Adapted from Tony Morgan Live.com)
Here is a summary of my message this past weekend entitled “Close Encounters”:
“The primary way that we can have a Close Encounter with God is through His Word.”
The Bible describes itself as (a):
- Sword (Ephesians 6:17/Hebrews 4:12)
- Honey (Psalm 119:103 & Psalm 34:8)
- Lamp (Psalm 119:105 & 130)
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NLT) says,
“All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.”
But, in order for us to have a Close Encounter with God in His Word, we need to take time to listen to Him. Here are some steps you can take to do that:
- Have a Plan/Place
- Read/Reflect/Respond to God’s Voice
- Scripture (write down the main verse)
- Observation (put the verse in your own words)
- Application (ask yourself, what does God want me to do?)
- Prayer (pray that God would help to remember and do what He wants you to do
3. Use Other Resources
- youversion.com (various versions and audio files to hear the audio versions of the Bible)
Here are some Reading Plans you can use that I mentioned in service.
(click on a plan from the list below for a .pdf file that you can save and/or print out and put in your Bible or journal).